Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Some Lucid Commentary from Senator Graham

Senator Lindsay Graham continually proves himself to be an eloquent and insightful member of the Senate. At today's judicial confirmation hearing, he said:
To my colleagues, I know abortion is important. It's . . . [a] central concept in our jurisprudence. But we can't build a judiciary around that one issue.

We can't make judges pledge allegiance to one case. We can't expect them to do things that would destroy their independence. You can vote yes; you can vote no; you can use any reason you would like. I just beg my colleagues: Let's don't go down a road that the country can't sustain and the judiciary will not be able to tolerate. People set aside [Ruth Bader Ginsburg's] writings, set aside her candid statement and gave her the benefit of the doubt that she would apply the law when her time came. She replaced Justice White.

We knew that that vote was going to change. I don't think any Republican had any doubt that, if there was a Roe v. Wade issue, she would vote differently than Justice White. But you never know.
The one thing I can tell the public about you and John Roberts is that you're first round NFL draft picks . . . I think you are men of great integrity. And I may be very well disappointed in some of your legal reasoning, but I'll never be disappointed in you if you do your job as you see fit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home